PART ONE: Romanesque Art
hat best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) Where can trumeau sculpture be found?
A) The choir
B) The portals
C) The ambulatory
D) The clerestory
E) The crossing
2) Pilgrims were accommodated by the inclusion of ________.
A) a narthex
B) ambulatories and apsidal chapels
C) crypts and blind arcades
D) choirs and crossings
E) blind arcades
3) Giselbertus’ ________.
A) did intricate enamels and engravings
B) won the Battle of Hastings
C) was a painter
D) was a metalworker
E) was known for his illuminated manuscripts
4) Where can a blind arcade commonly be found?
5) Where is sculpture commonly found in a Romanesque church?
D) Reliquary box
E) All of the above
6) Where is the west facade in a Romanesque church?
A) The front entrance
B) The transept end
C) Apse end
D) At the crossing
E) The altar end
7) Typically, what covers a Romanesque nave?
B) Wooden roof
C) Concrete dome
D) Barrel vault
E) None of the above
8) Which is not characteristic of Romanesque architecture?
A) Plain facade
B) Load-bearing walls
C) Apsidal chapels and ambulatories
D) Extremely tall naves
E) Twin bell towers on the west facade
9) The Romanesque period began after the year
E) None of the above
10) Which of the following told the story of the Battle of Hastings?
A) The tympanum at Durham
B) The Bayeux Tapestry
C) In Hildegard of Bingen’s book, The Book of Divine Works
D) A manuscript illumination by Verdun
E) The trumeau sculpture at Durham
PART TWO: GOTHIC ART
1) Which is a common feature of Gothic?
A) Rose windows
B) Abbey churches in the countryside
C) Tympanums with a subject of a stern Last Judgment
D) Horizontal emphasis
E) Plain, austere exteriors
2) Who abandoned complex symbolism and painted frescos with an understandable
C) The Limbourg Brothers
3) Most large Gothic churches in western Europe were built with what type of plan?
C) Latin cross
D) Greek cross
4) Where did Gothic architecture originate?
5) Who had the first Gothic church built?
A) Abbot Suger
B) Louis V
C) The pope
E) St. Denis
6) Which is not a characteristic of Gothic?
A) Pointed arches
B) Low, dark naves
C) Churches in the city
D) Flying buttresses
E) Large expanses of colored glass
7) Who won the competition for the doors to the Florentine Baptistery?
8) What did Gothic builders develop to stabilize their naves?
E) Flying buttresses
9) Ghiberti’s Sacrifice of Isaac was done in ________.
D) stained glass
E) carved stone
10) Gothic cathedrals were often dedicated to ________.
A) St. Denis
B) the Virgin Mary
C) the Last Judgment
D) Christ the stern judge
E) St. Peter